Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tuesday Food Day

Vietnamese Rice Noodle Bowl with Grilled Shrimp

This meal is the bomb!!!  I'm serious when I say Big R and I have this at least once a week!  Only this time we switched up our shrimp recipe to this one below.  I am hooked-we will be doing this marinade and style of grilling the shrimp (shells on) from now on.  Gotta try and let me know what you think!

*warning- you may use every bowl, utensil and pot in your house to make this meal BUT I assure you it is well worth it!  

Ingredients

  • 2 limes
  • 2 teaspoons fish sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar (I use honey instead)
  • 1 pound (about 15) jumbo shrimp, shells on
  • 2 teaspoons safflower oil (used olive oil bc what was on hand)
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
  • 2 scallions, finely chopped

Directions

  1. Zest limes into a bowl. Squeeze in juice from 1 lime, and whisk in fish sauce and sugar.
  2. Preheat grill to high. Brush shrimp with oil on both sides, and lightly season with salt and pepper. Grill until pink and firm to the touch, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
  3. Toss shrimp with fish-sauce mixture, cilantro, peanuts, and scallions. Juice remaining lime over shrimp.



And this is what we always put the shrimp on top of..
Rice Stick Noodles (ethnic aisle of any grocery store-I'm picky, I think the ones I get are by Ka-Me?)
chopped heart of Romaine lettuce
cucumber
cilantro
mint
cilantro sauce (ingredients listed above)
peanuts or cashews (crushed)
sriracha sauce


We typically will add the veggies we have on hand to make it more interesting and mix things up a little.  We love this meal so much because it is so healthy and light!!!  You feel like you are getting a to to eat without feeling overly full and gross.  It packs a lot of heat which I hear is great for revving up your metabolism!    

This is what I added from the fridge to the above dish...
avocado
roasted tomatoes
broiled okra with s&p
(so random to add these but I would add them to a salad and I look at this the same way with just rice noodles added)

*Last night I sauteed kale in chicken broth and red pepper flakes and added to our shrimp noodle bowls-random and yum!!!!

**Sorry, can't stop with all the possibilities for this meal but TRADER JOES shrimp wontons in the freezer section are perfect as an app or to go on top of rice noodles as well!  Edamame is perfect to snack on beforehand as well or top it off with shelled edamame!  


I'm sorry, but how good do these shrimp look!!  Totally messy to eat because you have to peel the shell off, but so, so worth it in flavor!!!!

Happy Cooking!

1 comments:

Natalie {Designer Bags and Dirty Diapers} said...

Been dying to see this recipe! I can't wait to make it. Sounds delish! You guys are such healthy eaters! Pinning it now!

Post a Comment