Thursday, July 19, 2012

Matchbox Parking Lot




I have gotten some of the best ideas from Pinterest over the past year.  Especially for the kiddos.  Here is a prime example of a fun learning activity for the little ones.  This blog is full of fun activities so be sure to check it out here.  

Little R is starting kindergarten in the fall and I have heard from so many parents of past kindergartners, "if only we had kept up the momentum over the summer between preschool and kindergarten, maybe it wouldn't have been such a huge transition?"  So, here is my late attempt at getting back on track before school starts in about 5 weeks-yikes!!!  We haven't quite gotten to sight words yet so my rendition was just reviewing basic numbers and letters in our "parking lot"  Here are the steps I took:

Supplies needed:
Poster Board
Marker
Ruler/Business card

I used my business card to draw out each "parking space" and then filled each space with a capital letter or number.



While I was doing that, Mr. Big was working on his own masterpiece


And big brother was practicing his letters on this awesome gadget.


Here's the "lot" all ready for the game to begin!  I would call out a letter or number and Little R would drive the car to the appropriate spot.  We would talk about words that started with the letter while he was driving around too.  If he was stumped by one we would just skip it or I would give him hints about where the letter may be hiding.  





I will admit, boys will be boys sometimes, and this game did not last forever.  We did get through about half of the letters and numbers and we plan to play again later in the week.  I definitely don't want to turn him off from any of these learning tools so just trying to go with the flow.  After all, it is summer right?!!!!!

And in case you are interested, here is another great site chock full of activities for children, 
75 Kids Activites

And if you live in a house full of jokesters like I do, then you may appreciate this link, 

3 comments:

Courtney said...

I"ve seen that on pinterest but didn't notice it was about sight words. I'll have to do it! Thanks for the great links!

lizziefitz said...

I am a preschool teacher and always appreciate great links to keep my 3's busy;))) thanks!

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

You're a good momma. Such a fun and neat idea.

Post a Comment