Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tuesday Food Day

Spinach Basil Pesto

Basil Pesto

via

This is the perfect recipe for those of you who want to use up all of your basil this summer but want to stay  health(ier).  Pesto is not "bad" for you, but the amount I like to use on pizza, spaghetti, dips, is unhealthy.  So, I came up with a much lower calorie/fat recipe if you are interested.  I do not measure so I will try my best at proportions here.

Huge bunch of fresh basil (like the bunch you get at Whole Foods if you were to buy)
1/2 container of crumbled Parmesan Cheese (again at Whole Foods where bagged shredded cheese is, but this comes in container)
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 bag fresh spinach-wilted in steamer or microwave
2-3 garlic cloves
salt if needed
few dashes of olive oil

I blend all above ingredients in a blender but you most certainly can use a food processor.

*I don't use pine nuts or any nut for that matter and only a touch of olive oil. 


I am telling you, this stuff is good!!!  Really hard to tell the difference!  Perfect to use on my Naan Bread Pizzas or as a spaghetti sauce!!!!  I literally have dipped pretzel thins in it too and still good!!!  Give it a try and let me know what you think!!!

Also have you checked out Food Gawker?  Love it!!!  And Craft Gawker, Design Gawker, etc....One more addiction I have no time for:)



1 comments:

Natalie {Designer Bags and Dirty Diapers} said...

I will have to try this low fat version. I am obsessed with Nann pizzas- great idea to do pesto as the base. Last week I used hummus as the base and it was amazing!

Post a Comment