Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tuesday Food Day



Let me start by saying I am a vegetarian and Bobby Flay makes me want to eat a grilled pork chop with a side order of flank steak.  He is the grill master.  Big R received this cookbook for Christmas a few years ago and we really have only tried one or two recipes from it so far.  SO this weekend I decided it was time to break it out again and try something new.  I came across his recipe for Black Bean Soup with Toasted Cumin Crema and Three Relishes.  Big R honestly was not too enthused at first but I reminded him we had fresh shrimp to throw on the grill that could go on top.  
(I should clarify that I am not a true vegetarian-I'm apparently a pescatarian-a fish/shellfish eating vegetarian:)

This soup was ABSOLUTELY delicious with the perfect amount of heat and seasoned to perfection!  I altered it slightly due to the fact that I didn't have or couldn't find a few of the ingredients but overall I followed it pretty closely.  Big R said it was the best soup he has ever had.  Must have been the cup of red wine added to the black beans:)

*This picture below is not of the actual soup I made because I forgot to photograph and lets be honest, this cute little orange pot was much better looking than the beat up rice steamer I cooked in:)  


Created by Chef Bobby Flay Mesa Grill, New York
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 cup red wine
3 cups Black beans, soaked, rinsed, drained (I used Goya canned BB)
3 jalapeños roasted, peeled and seeded
1 poblano pepper, roasted, peeled and seeded
4 cups water (chicken broth or vegetable broth instead of water)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice 
Salt and freshly ground pepper
PREPARATION: 
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Sweat the carrots, onion and garlic for 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add the wine, bring to a boil, and cook until reduced.
2. Add the beans and reduce heat to medium. Add the jalapeños, poblano, and water and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, or until the beans are cooked through. Remove from heat and add the lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Remove half the mixture and puree in a food processor, then return it to the pot and stir well.
Tomato-Serrano Relish 
2 tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
1 serrano pepper, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper
PREPARATION: 
1. Combine in a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Grilled Onion Relish
1 red onion, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick 
2 tablespoons olive oil
PREPARATION: 
1. Heat a grill or grill pan over high heat. Brush onion slices with olive oil and grill on both sides for 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly charred and cooked through. Remove and chop finely.
Avocado-Tomatillo Relish 
2 Haas avocados, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
2 Tomatillo, scrubbed and coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons Red onions, finely chopped
1 small jalapeño, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper
PREPARATION: 
1. Gently combine in a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Toasted Cumin Crema
1 tablespoon cumin 
8 ounces Crema or sour cream 
1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice 
Salt and freshly ground pepper (I did not have cumin seeds so I heated ground cumin in a small saucepan for 1 minute)
PREPARATION:
1. Place a small sauté pan over medium high heat and heat until almost smoking. Add the cumin seeds and toast for 1 to 2 minutes. Place the seeds in a coffee grinder and grind to a powder.
2. Place the crema in a small bowl, add the ground cumin and lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. To serve: Ladle soup into individual bowls. Drizzle with the toasted cumin cream and top with a tablespoon of each of the relishes. Serve immediately.
YIELD: 8 servings

This soup took a bit of time to prepare but well worth it and on a Saturday night we weren't in a rush.  I would highly recommend you trying it but do beware of the heat factor-it packs a punch!!!!  

1 comments:

Natalie {Designer Bags and Dirty Diapers} said...

So funny when I was in NYC a few years ago I met Bobby Flay at his restaurant so of course I thought I should buy one of his cookbooks. I bought this one and have never made anything out of it!! Now you have inspired me to make the soup and my hubs would be the same way about a meatless meal!

Post a Comment