I'm cheating today. I went over to this great little food blog, With Style and Grace and snagged her chickpea recipe. It looked too good not to share.
Do you ever eat the same thing over and over and over until one day you just switch it up? Well, that's what happened to chickpeas and me. I loved them so much I would eat them everyday in salads, hummus, soups, you name it. And being a semi vegetarian ( Big R likes to get scientific and call me a pescatarian) chickpeas are a great source of protein! Then one day, I decided I was tired of them. Just like that gone from my diet.
Chickpea Salad via With Style and Grace
- 14 oz can garbanzo (chickpeas) beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 english cucumber, diced or quartered
- 3 scallions, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice – about 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt + pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
In a large bowl combine garbanzo beans, tomatoes, cucumber, onions, and bell pepper. To make the dressing, whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, and olive oil. Drizzle dressing over bean and vegetable mix. Season with salt and pepper. If you can, let this marinate for about 6-8 hours before serving. Trust me, it’s much better after it sits. When your ready to enjoy, top with basil & feta cheese – if you like.
Eat alone, with pasta, over a salad or mixed with chicken (in your pasta)